Thursday 20 November 2014

I Find Myself Strangely Drawn To This Odd Configuration Of Activity

Find a job that you love and you wont feel as though you are working everyday. We are always told that if we want to have a blissful future we should always do something we want to. This words have been recycled countless times and to be honest I have now only seen the real life  example.

Recently me and my group members had a long discussion with one of our lecturers. Technically he is not a lecturer but a teaching consultant. The main point isn't his title but what he does. He was an engineer until 1994. After that he just went into retirement and does odd jobs. He went around cutting grass and do not place a price. It is up to the people how much they wanted to pay him. He even open up a toast bread shop in Gua Musang. Finally in 2011 he decided to apply for a teaching position in UMP and he got it.

He is a real life example on how powerful passion can be on our lives. University life isn't same as now back in the olden days. We are very privileged to have so many resources for us to access. If you are truly passionate on what you are studying then you will pour countless hours reading and understanding thick textbooks. Basically now, from my observation we usually just study up for a test. We don't usually take the extra step in the things we learn. Just enough to get an A and delete and repeat for a different subject.

This is why I am so amazed that he actually read completely everything there is to know about that subject. His argument was if you want to walk the talk you must ensure you are well versed in that subject. If everyone think the same way as him, Malaysia would have too many over qualified graduates.

My friend then asked the reality of working life. He said he was told a lot of things we studied for 4 years won't be used in our work. My lecturer said that is untrue. It depends on your perspective. As an engineer we are supposed to have a high degree of curiosity. If you are passionate about your job, then you will work beyond the working hours. Spend your free time researching and exploring, for instance how to reduce the power consumption in the office.

In short, if you are truly passionate on something then it won't feel like a chore. Find a job you will really like because it will truly be as though you are not working everyday. My lecturer even ask us to invest on an oscilloscope and conduct random experiments to truly understand what you are studying.

So now basically I am in the discovering myself phase. No just kidding. I spend all my time reading fairy tales, watching Hannibal again and waiting until the last due date only rush my home works.


I made this. I feel so proud. 

My mind is still messing with me when I thought I move on from Summer. Letting go might not be the easiest thing it seems.

I think I will try to find for a job where all I need to do is read fairy tales. That truly is a something I will be passionate about.


Okay. Study. Death go away from my grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment