Tuesday 11 November 2014

Eternal November


"em·pa·thy /ˈempəTHē/ noun ; the ability to understand and share the feelings of another."

"Empathy is the capacity to share or recognize emotions experienced by another sentient or fictional being. One may need to have a certain amount of empathy before being able to experience accurate sympathy or compassion." 
"Lack of empathy is one of the most striking features of people with narcissistic personality disorder. It's a hallmark of the disorder in the same way that fear of abandonment is in borderline personality disorder."
Empathy. The one nature in a person that makes them human. The ability to feel, understand and connect to others. Does that one nature truly defines us as a human being? Empathy is the reason we feel guilty or remorse when we do something bad, but then again who is right to define what's right or wrong? Are we merely guided by religion or the basic concept of morality? Do good and harm no one.

There are two things I always seemed to be interested in. Fairy tales or fiction for young adults and psychology. I am always curious to learn how the human works. I wanted to pursue psychology after SPM but my parents forbid me to and here I am now in the engineering field. Perhaps that is the reason I love chemistry. The chemicals in our brain are responsible for our actions. It's like how Cortisol induces stress whereas Dopamine induces joy. It's is funny how such a meaningful thing as falling in love is actually the work of chemicals in our brain. It may not sound romantic but hey it just shows how influential the little chemicals in our head on our life.

Perhaps by understanding how the human mind works I would be able to understand how to react and behave in certain situations. There are countless moments where I just stayed quiet because I did not know how to react to certain situations. Those are the moments where I felt I might not be able to empathize. Which made me worried I might be prone to be a sociopath

But oddly I can empathize pain. Which made me uncomfortable whenever I watch movies or shows with a lot of gore scenes. Heck I even felt it when I read from a book. I have never really felt this way until I started reading about serial killers to present for my oral test in high school. Ever since then I have always felt uncomfortable whenever I watch gory scenes. I can feel the same thing happening to me which assured me I might not be a psychopath as well.

Oddly enough, Game of Thrones or Hannibal do not phase me as much as other shows. But the original Grimm fairy tales do get to me sometimes.

Being socially dormant on Facebook has led me to be more active and wordy in the blog. Okay maybe I should read more positive books and watch happier shows.

A random fact: I am not an avid reader when I was a kid. I only started reading when I finished form 6. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events was the series that sparks my interest in reading. Ever since then I go broke buying so many books now I am just reading them again so I won't have to starve lolol. Just kidding. I still have some books I have yet to finish so I vowed not to get any more new books until I have finished them.

Perhaps I should read my academic books more than fiction and fantasy.

Owells it is still November yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment